My name is Zouhir, pronounced Zoo 🦁 - Hair 💇. I am a Syrian front-end engineer currently living in Redmond, Washington and working as a Program Manager for web animations and browser composition on the Edge team at Microsoft.
Prior to joining Microsoft, I worked as front-end and UI engineer building web applications for multiple high-profile brands such as Qantas Airline, Common Wealth Bank of Australia, McDonald's, Dubai International Film Festival, ADIB and more.
In my free-time, I open-source some of my code and personal experiments you can learn more about that in my Github, I also occasionally tweet about web dev & browse stuff you can follow me at @_zouhir.
I also take some photos of places I live in or visit, you can see them here.
Growing up #
I was born in January 1991 in Safita and grew up there. It is a small town situated on the tops of three hills in the Syrian Coastal Mountain Range.
I went to public schools in my hometown, and loved physics in my elementary school. I participated in 3 national physics competitions and I was given the Physics Pioneer award 2 years in a row (1999, 2000). My mom is an Electrical and Power engineer, and she was both an inspiration and a help to me growing up and teaching me a lot of math and physics.
Web Development #
I got my first computer at age 12 in 2003, it was an IBM ThinkPad, a gift from my aunty who lives in Australia, and built my first HTML & CSS webpage at age 14. My main motivation was building a photo-atlas, an online directory where you can see photos from a big, alphabetically sorted list of all world-countries. I was not able to finish and ship the project, but it taught me a lot about HTML and CSS.
Few years later, at age 17, I participated in another national competition, it was Al-Bassel Computer Programming Competition and I won an award for web category.
Places, countries and cities I have been to on Planet Earth and word heritage sites I visited.
Cities I've lived in #
- Redmond, WA, USA (current)
- Sydney, Australia
- Der Atyah, Syria
- Safita, Syria
Countries I've visited #
- Cayman Islands
World Heritage Sites #
- Ancient City of Damascus, Syria Cultural, 20
- Site of Palmyra, Syria Cultural, 23
- Sydney Opera House Cultural, 166
- Greater Blue Mountains Area Natural, 917
- San Francisco International Airport
- Seattle-Tacoma International Airport
- Los Angeles International Airport
- Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport
- Miami International Airport
- Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport
- Charles de Gaulle Airport
- Sydney (Kingsford Smith) Airport
- Abu Dhabi International Airport
- Beirut-Rafic Hariri International Airport